Knife attack in Sydney: perpetrator identified, 'nothing' suggests terrorist act

Australian police announced this Sunday, April 14, that the perpetrator of the stabbing had been identified.

Knife attack in Sydney: perpetrator identified, 'nothing' suggests terrorist act

Australian police announced this Sunday, April 14, that the perpetrator of the stabbing had been identified. Shot dead by the police, he killed six people in a shopping center in Sydney, Australia. According to the authorities, "nothing" suggests a possible terrorist motive for his act.

After the fatal stabbing in a shopping center in Sydney, Australia, this Sunday, April 14, police announced that they had identified the perpetrator. He is a 40-year-old man from the state of Queensland, in the north of the country and known to the police, relays TF1 info.

Named Joel Cauchi, he is believed to have arrived in Sydney in March. "We know that the assailant suffered [...] from mental health problems," said New South Wales Deputy Police Commissioner Anthony Cooke, adding that at this stage investigators do not have "any "no element, no information, no proof or no intelligence to suggest that this is a particular motivation, an ideology or other." The terrorist trail has therefore been ruled out for the moment.

On Saturday April 13, emergency services announced that six people were stabbed to death in a Bondi Junction Westfield shopping center, reports Australian media Sydney Morning Herald. Seven other people are currently hospitalized, including a 9-month-old baby in "stable" condition, according to police.

The Australian Prime Minister, Anthony Albanese, indicated that the author of the attack appears to have "acted alone", specifying that for the moment. He had sent his condolences to the families of the victims earlier in the day. “The first thoughts of all Australians are with those who are affected and with their loved ones,” he published on the social network and Kate, who said they were "shocked and saddened" by the tragic event. King Charles III, head of the Commonwealth of which Australia is a part, said he was “horrified” by a “senseless” attack.

Hundreds of people had to be evacuated from the shopping center after the incident. Witnesses described scenes of panic, details Le Figaro. Surveillance camera videos were broadcast by local media, showing a man running through the mall armed with a large knife, injured bodies lying on the ground and officers helping them.

NEXT NEWS